Job Title: Principal Software Engineer – TypeScript Express-Node Developer
Location: Austin, TX
About the Company
Salient Systems is an industry leading manufacturer of next generation Enterprise Security Solutions. Salient Systems products are designed for recording, live view and investigations of both analog and IP video cameras for video security installations. The product, CompleteView, is designed with the IP network in mind. A suite of features provides for minimal bandwidth impact and easy system administration.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Create standalone NodeJS microservices as well as maintain larger services
- Some maintenance, some from scratch, some for proof of concept, but always fun
- Consume, manipulate, and provide data across various sources via REST API interfaces
- Mentor and assist junior developers
- You got the knowledge, padawans are looking to learn (and teach us too)
- Write well designed, testable, and heavily documented code by using software development best practice and via peer review
- This one isn’t as fun, but prevents ourselves from having headaches 6 months later
- Stay up-to-date with latest standards, technologies, frameworks or trends
- Only way to stay best in class!
Our Dev Stack
- Jira for issue tracking
- Azure for Git + Dev Ops
- AWS for various automated deployment mechanisms
We are open to a variety of candidates that have a strong level of production experience writing well documented, highly functional, node.js code with strong typing. The ideal candidate will have a multiple years of experience creating public facing APIs using TypeScript and node.js.
- 2+ years production experience focused on TypeScript/Express/NodeJS
- Proven ability to create fully documented RESTful APIs – how else do you consume an API?
- Git-Fu black belt – no merge conflict issues here!
- Willingness and ability to track and document project status and feature functionalities
As well as one of the following:
- 6+ years production development experience OR
- with 4+ years production development experience OR
- Associates of Science (C.S., Mathematics, Physics, etc.) or Relevant Independent Courses (i.e., bootcamps/certification programs/accredited courses in network tech) with 4+ years production development experience OR
- Bachelors of Science (C.S., Mathematics, Physics, etc.) or higher
Bonus points for:
- Experience in our existing tech stack (not required, and the ability to learn and grow is far more appreciated)
- Exception ability to clearly communicate both written and verbally in both a technical and non-technical manner
Salary is competitive for midlevel software developer positions and will grow with experience.
Salient Systems provides an excellent benefits package including; partial employer paid health insurance, employer sponsored life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance, voluntary dental and vision insurance, 401(k), and flexible PTO.
Our values are commitment, collaboration, customer focus, determination, and innovation! A fun, entrepreneurial spirit and initiative are key elements of the Salient environment. We foster a culture of collaboration through supporting team building events and continuing career growth and development.